It stands for Virtual private network. Generally defined as a private network that uses data encryption and high-level security measures to transfer data privately and safely through a wide area of network i.e.: The Internet. Such types of network are generally preferred by organizations having businesses with several offices in different locations. They have become hugely popular with different organizations as a means of securing and transferring data securely from one end to the other. VPN’S uses a series of combinations of committed connections and encrypted protocols to get virtual P2P connections. VPN’S allows the user to parody the original physical location- the users real IP address is replaced by the VPN provider giving them space to bypass the content filters.
SECURITY PROTOCOLS GENERATED BY VPN:
- IP SECURITY: IPsec it is commonly used to secure the internet communications and it has the ability to perform in two different modes. The security level can be increased according to our need through differ combinations.
- Layer 2 Tunneling Protocol (L2TP): Here the IP and the L2TP combine together with their best security level to provide the best layer of security to the Data transfer.
- Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) and Transport Layer Security (TLS): This type of security layers are generally used for the online retailers or the service providers. They work on a Handshake method. An HTTP-based SSL connection is used by the client using certain URL. This generally helps in encryption keys, authenticate the session, and create the secure connection.
- Point-to-Point Tunneling Protocol (PPTP): Such protocols have been in use from the early 1990’s and support a huge variety of operating system. The level of security provided by PPTP has been increased by certain protocols; however, the codes remain the same.
- Secure Shell (SSH): It creates a VPN tunnel and encryption to protect it. It generally grants the user the permission to transfer Data by Routing the load from remote file servers from encrypted servers. All data flows through specified ports across the ends of the tunnel.
WORKING OF VPN’S:
On a general note VPN generally acts as a bridge between the client software and network access server (NAS). It allows and individual user to get secure connections with the remote computer network.
There are mainly two components required for the remote-access VPN’S:
- Network access server (NAS): Also, known as the media gateway. It is a dedicated server that connects the user to internet world to access the VPN. The NSA needs the user to provide original credentials to get access to the VPN. To verify the credentials the NSA generally used the authentication process or a different server is used for this purpose running on the same network.
- Remote-access VPNs is client software: This is the one and only software which is required for VPN servers to work. The client software makes up the tunneled connection to a NAS, which the user shows by its IP.
SO, VPN networks are the fastest and-and most secure way of transferring Data from one end to another end without having the fear of Data theft.